In order to maintain the value of your home and avoid costly future repairs, seasonal maintenance and upkeep is a necessity. Let us conduct an inspection of your home to help identify priority repairs and maintenance. Our home maintenance checklist includes:
- Concrete driveways and walkways – We check for cracks that need to be filled and repaired, and any trip hazards.
- Foundation – We inspect the outside of the foundation and house for any cracks that indicate settlement
- Sprinkler systems- We check that the controls and sprinkler heads are working.
- Fences and gates – We check fences and gates for proper operationm and for any rot or loose panels.
- Landscaping – We check landscaping to see that no water is running toward the foundation.
- Gutters and downspouts – We check to see that gutters are not clogged, and in good repair. We also want downspouts to drain well away from the foundation.
- Exterior Paint – Paint is your homes primary defense against rot for any wood siding or trim.
- Siding – We inspect for any signs of rot or damage
- Exterior Doors and Windows – We check the weather stripping, caulking, window screens, and proper operation of doors and windows.
- Roofing, flashing, pipe boots. We inspect asphalt shingles for wear, and clay roof tiles for cracking. We also inspect the flashing and sealant to prevent leaks. Vent pipe boots are inspected for dry rot and sealing. We also inspect the roof from underneath in the attic for any moisture or mold problems caused by leaks or poor ventilation.
- Chimney caps – Chimney caps are inspected for rust or the possibility of leaking
- Kitchens and Bathrooms, ventilation – Kitchens and bathrooms are very moist and humid areas and need to be checked for mold and for proper sealant and caulk.
- Plumbing fixtures, water heater and drains – We check plumbing fixtures for proper caulking, operation, and any signs of leaks.
- Water Heaters – The safety valve on water heaters needs to be checked at least twice a year for proper operation. Mineral deposits or a faulty safety valve can cause the water heater to explode if the pressure gets too high.
- Electrical fixtures, outlets, and switches – We check all lighting fixtures, GFCI and wall outlets, and wall switches.
- Flooring – We check tile flooring for any evidence of cracks that indicate foundation settlement. We also check wood and laminate flooring for signs of moisture or rot.
- Air conditioning system – We recommend Northport Heating and Air for inspections of the air conditioning system. Contact Steve Weatherington at 904-887-9669 or visit www.jacksonvilleacservice.com .
- Attic insulation – We check the attic for proper ventilation and for the right amount of insulation.
- Interior doors and walls – We check interior doors for proper operation, and walls for cracks that indicate house settlement.
- Appliances and dryer vents – We check appliances for proper operation and safety, as well as dryer vents for clogs.
- Home safety. Smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers – We check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors for proper operation. Batteries should be changed at least once a year. Fire extinguishers should also be checked and everyone in the household should know how to use one.
- Home Security – We check alarm systems for proper operation and the back-up batteries. Back-up batteries last approximately three years.